Log Off    

Frequently Asked Questions

Check here for answers, and if you don't find what you're seeking, let us know: mosa@mosaorganic.org or 608-637-2526.

Updating clients: Want a discount? Submit your application by February 15 to get $25.00 off. Pay your certification fees in full (Annual) by February 15 to receive an additional $25.00 off.  All updating clients must submit applications by April 1 to avoid incurring late fees and noncompliance.

Annual Update: General Forms and Fees Questions:

Important Information for Updating Clients:

The deadline for update applications is April 1

Should I keep copies? Yes! Keep electronic or paper copies of everything you submit! The National Organic Standards require you to have and keep copies of certification documents, including all receipts and tags, for 5 years.

Can I fax or email my forms to MOSA?  No. MOSA does not accept update forms via fax or email, but with our online system, MyMOSA, you can submit your updates, pay your fees, and upload documents; all you need is a computer, and email address and an internet connection. If you have not yet accessed your account online, contact MOSA: we will help with your initial set-up. Use one method only to submit your update application; in other words, don’t submit your OSP and other documents online and then print and mail them.

What if I wish to discontinue my certification with MOSA?  This is considered a voluntary surrender of your organic certificate. Please notify MOSA as soon as possible that you will be surrendering your organic certification. If you are transferring to another agency, it is important to notify MOSA in order to help you avoid a lapse in certification. See the fee schedule for details.

What if I have just received my updated certificate for 2017?  The April 1 deadline still applies. For a few clients, this annual update will come just before or after the close of your most recent certification cycle. Even though you may have just received an updated certificate, or your file may still be in review, you must complete the required annual update by the deadline.

Is there Organic Cost Share? Yes. The program is fully funded through 2018. Organic Cost Share is a federal reimbursement program available for organic operations covering 75% of organic certification expenses, up to $750 for each category of certification. Your annual fee must be paid to MOSA between October 1 and September 30 of the current year in order to be eligible. For most states, the application deadline is October 31. Contact MOSA with any questions!

I only do this once a year! What if I forget my password? Just click the “I forgot my password” link on the login page, and MyMOSA will email it to you.

Can I make changes to my OSP or file information online at any time? After you submit all your paperwork, your Organic System Plans may be "locked" while MOSA reviews it. If you need to make a change during this time, just contact MOSA at 608-637-2526 and we'll make the change for you. When review or inspection isn't pending, your file can be changed online at any time.

Why does MOSA ask about...

Contact and Business Info? We must know who is responsible for organic integrity and how best to communicate with you. The National Organic Program (NOP) requires that only one “person” is identified on a certificate: one farm or business. This “person” can be an individual, partnership, corporation, association, cooperative, trust, or other legal entity.

Tax ID numbers? We must confirm the legal identity of all certified entities. Sole proprietors/individuals do not need to provide a social security number.

Additional contact names? We must know who is connected to your operation and who we can communicate with about confidential certification issues. These additional names could be family members, business partners, employees, etc. The NOP requires that one person be identified as the primary contact person. This name may appear on the certificate, though this is not required. We are required by the NOP to get the names of all “responsibly-connected” parties, including partners, officers, boards of directors, holders, managers, or owners of at least 10% of the voting stock. See the Responsibly Connected Individuals page on the MyMOSA website.

Timing needs? The organic certification process takes time. If you have specific timing needs, let us know right away. Are you adding a new product or new land? Let us know what’s new and when you need a revised certificate. Products you wish to sell as organic MUST be listed on your certificate. New land must be inspected and certified before you harvest or have livestock graze. Your needs are important to us and we will work hard to meet them, but it all starts with timely and complete communication. As the season progresses, please update us on any changes to your timing needs. Additional fees may apply.

Biosecurity? The health of your operation is important to us. Livestock and plant diseases are an unfortunate but manageable reality. We need to know your biosecurity concerns. Avian Influenza is of special concern recently, as well as Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea Virus is especially contagious. These diseases are highly contagious and can be devastating to flocks and herds.  If you have any chickens or hogs, organic or conventional, for sale or for personal use, please let us know. We will take appropriate measures to ensure biosecurity.

What about...

Multiple entities on one certificate? Organic products may be produced/handled only by persons or entities that are certified and inspected in accordance with the National Organic Standards section 205.100. Certified operations may not allow the use of their certificate to enable other persons to produce or handle products sold, labeled, or represented as organic. Certificates are not transferrable to new owners or to producers/handlers other than those responsibly connected to the organic operation identified on the certificate. In some circumstances, we may require that certain parts of your operation be certified as a separate entity.

Calculating adjusted gross sales for handling operations? Adjusted gross organic sales are gross sales less the cost of organic ingredients. No deduction to gross sales is made for ingredients or processing aids that are not certified organic (such as salt or sodium dioxide), or for other costs such as packaging, trucking, or production. Retail operations and brokers are considered handlers and calculate their fees in different ways. Please contact MOSA for details if you have questions.

MyMOSA Issues and Questions

What does someone need to register on MyMOSA? Just the primary email address associated with the account and a password. You can change your password at any time.

What are the minimum requirements that a client needs to use MyMOSA? An internet connection, a browser that is recently updated (we recommend Mozilla Firefox and Chrome) and the latest version of Adobe Reader. Click here for the free download

Are forms downloadable? Yes.

How will I submit my Current Year Field Plan (CYFP)?  Download the PDF on the Crop Summary/Current Year Field Plan page, following the instructions on that page. Once you have this form saved to your computer, complete your field plan information. Save your changes. When you are done, go to MyMOSA, click on the File Uploads tab and follow the instructions to upload your Crop Summary/Current Year Field Plan. If you have a different spreadsheet or other type of document you want to upload, that’s fine as long as it has all the information we need.

I’m having trouble opening PDFs and modifying them. What’s wrong? Make sure you’re using the most recent version of Adobe Reader. Click here for the free download

If I apply online, can you still send me a paper certificate? Your online certificate will look just like one that would arrive in the mail. If you don’t have a color printer and you want us to print one off for you, just give us a call and let us know.

What if I don’t know which Organic System Plans (OSPs) I need? (For example, I’m not sure if I need the Handler OSP.) If you’re unsure about this, contact the MOSA office and talk to someone in the Certification Department - they’ll help you figure it out

I’m new. What forms do I need to upload? If you’re new and you’re unsure, you’ll be given cues as you work through the Organic System Plans that apply to your operation. If, after you’ve gone through the MyMOSA application process, you’re still unsure, contact MOSA for guidance.

I was certified by MOSA last year. What forms do I need to upload? We still have all your information from previous years. You only need to upload the supplemental documents that show changes that are new this year.  For example, producers will need to submit a new Current Year Field Plan.  If maps, VALUs, etc. have been updated you’ll need to submit those as well. The same for Input Inventories. If nothing’s changed, you don't need to upload anything.

How do other people I’ve authorized on my account access MyMOSA? Right now, anyone accessing the account needs to do so using the primary email address.

What if I try MyMOSA out and I decide I want to just use paper instead? That’s fine. If you try it out and it doesn’t work, just give us a call and let us know. You can print out the forms and send them into us, or we can send you the paper forms if necessary.

Can I go online even if I don’t want to submit my documents online? Even if you don’t submit your forms electronically, you can review your OSPs, previously submitted documentation, payment history, and make payments online.